I just got a nomination for a Liebster Award. I read the post and then Googled it, and it seems like a chain letter. Kind of. It is not a “this is the 5th month, has 5 Sundays, resend this to 5 people in 5 minutes and you will magically get 5 million dollars” kind of chain letter – wow I wish it was, I could use the money! But it seems more like just something someone started to get some exposure for their blog and it caught on. So, I figure why not go ahead? I am supposed to nominate 5 bloggers and if any of you that I send it to get upset – I am sorry. It is just for fun and some exposure. Kind of spread the newbie’ness around ha ha. So thank you Michael from http://michaelargersinger.wordpress.com for the invite. And he does have a good expat blog so it was not a waste of time.
From my reading about it there are numerous versions out. The earliest incarnation I saw said to send a nomination out to 3 other blogs with fewer than 2,000 followers. Others I saw said 5 – 11 bloggers with anywhere from 200 – 3,000 followers. The one I got said to send it 5 blogs with under 200 followers. So they not are not real consistent and there is no governing body – like it is not a real award (I know it is not). But like I said it sounds like fun so here goes. Or I could skip the whole thing and give the award to myself honorarily. But where is the fun in that?
Also, since I have an expat blog I decided to try and keep my 5 nominations to other expat blogs. No particular reason really. I just felt like it.
I have to give 11 facts about myself, answer 5 questions, nominate 5 other blogs, and ask them 5 questions.
11 Facts about me:
- I moved overseas 5 years before retirement.
- I don’t recommend anyone do that!
- I was a single dad for 16 years
- I was vegetarian for 27 years during my Hindu phase.
- Although I complain about constant power outages, and horrid customer service I am quite happy in the Philippines.
- After working 25 years in the air conditioning business I now live with 85 degrees at 85% humidity – and no aircon!
- I like Lady Gaga, some eras of Madonna’s music, and I am listening to Rod Stewart as I write this. Yet I consider myself straight.
- Elvis Costello is the best musician in the world.
- I love to cook
- So far Filipinos don’t appreciate my cooking.
- I am surprisingly happy being monogamous.
My 5 questions to answer:
- What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever done?
That is a very hard question. With my Navy experience, and a bit of solo travel I have done some pretty cool stuff – some of it quite unspeakably cool. But my kids and I had an annual Spring Break trip to Orlando for Disney and Universal studios. We did it probably 8 times? And even when they were in college they wanted to travel with me (or at least go to Disney). That is pretty cool.
- In what capacity do you use your blog?
I am sharing my journey of being an expat. Mostly for my family and Texas friends to read, but anyone is welcome to join in.
- What’s your best experience abroad?
Another tough one. I think it would have to be my first scuba diving vacation. Went with a group of strangers from a local dive shop to Cozumel for a week and came back with a dozen new, wonderful, friends. And some great diving memories!
- What’s you favorite thing to do outside?
It may sound trite but walking along the beach has to be one of the best thing around. I enjoy hiking, scuba diving, cycling, and laying in a hammock. But walking on the beach has some magical properties.
- Favorite book?
My first thought was Atlas Shrugged. But I am such a voracious reader there are too many good ones to name. All time favorite series would have to be the Darkover books by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
My 5 questions to my nominated bloggers:
- What keeps you motivated to blog regularly?
- What advice you give to someone thinking of becoming an expat?
- If you already moved – what do you miss most from your home country?
- Is music important in your life? And if so what musician has affected your life the most?
- What is your favorite book?
My 5 nominated bloggers (many blogs do not display the number of followers so if you have tons of followers already… sorry):